Can journal writing prompts lead to a successful new year?
How would you like to tick off a few items on your bucket list in the new year? Or start that online business that’s been your dream forever? Or even work only mornings in the future?
I’ve created a list of journal writing prompts to help you reflect on your life and strategize for success in the future. It’s a simple but effective way to change your life for the better.
2020 heralds a new decade and therefore it’s the perfect time to set a few simple but achievable goals for a better life.
Do you recall Robin Williams advice in Dead Poets Society ? Carpe Diem (Seize the day). This is your Carpe Diem moment.
I have the perfect Mini Journal for you to work through the journal prompts. It’s blank so you can work in any order. Click the graphic below to get it.
Why use journal writing prompts
Did you know that keeping a journal is a powerful tool to embrace for planning and goal setting ?
If you’re like me, you may find the thought of spilling all the drama and trauma of your life onto a blank page quite terrifying.
I find journal writing prompts help you analyze your life and then create a plan of action to follow.
I advise you to print the journal prompts and work through them for the best results.
What are the benefits of keeping a journal
Writing in a journal daily helps you to:
- Practice mindfulness
- Reflect on your daily actions
- Analyze your relationships
- Show compassion, kindness and generosity
- Make and set goals
Perhaps, you’re put off by all the hype about journaling. You may think that it’s a fad and can offer you no real help when you’re facing difficulties in life.
Honestly, I was anti-journaling too. But I recently started keeping a guided journal.
It’s been just about 15 days but I’ve already discovered why I was so stressed out. It was totally self induced. I was guilty of neglecting my self care and prioritizing everything and every else. So, journaling for just a few days made me realize that I have to change this for the sake of my health, if nothing else.
This post contains affiliate links which means that I may earn a commission if you use them. I only recommend tools that I use and trust. You can read the full disclosure policy here.
If you’re new to journaling, you will need a journal. These are my favorite Amazon picks at the moment.
For info about starting and keeping a journal, read How to Start a Journal: A Life-changing Beginner’s Guide.
Journal writing prompts
Here are 25 journal writing prompts specially designed to help you improve your life so you can be more fulfilled in the future
Take your time to work through them. With each prompt, pause and ask WHY to dig deep to understand your thoughts and beliefs.
Here’s an example of the WHY exercise:
What was your word for 2019?
My word for 2019 was Discipline.
WHY ? I wanted to be regular with posting content to my blog
WHY ? My aim was to get 100 posts on the blog
WHY ? I would then have more time to focus on growing my subscribers, traffic and work on affiliate marketing.
The more times you ask WHY the deeper your analysis of your life becomes.
25 Journal Writing Prompts for a Successful New Year
1. What are 10 positive things about your life now?
2. What was the highlight of 2019 for you?
3. Describe a perfect day in your dream life
4. Name the 5 personal values that you live your life by.
5. Name the 5 best things that happened in 2019.
6. Describe a life-changing event you experienced.
7. Who/ What was the biggest source of inspiration to you in 2019?
8. Identify the beliefs that were barriers to success in 2020.
9. How do you plan to overcome your limiting beliefs?
10. What would you like to improve about yourself in 2020?
11. Name 5 ways you intend to get out of your comfort zone.
12. What would you like to tick off your bucket list?
13. Name one new item you would like to include in your morning routine.
14. What is the one thing you will do every day to spoil yourself?
15. Name one fun activity you plan to do everyday.
16. Name 3 activities you will do to challenge your mind.
17. What 3 fun things would you like to do with your friends in 2020?
18. How will you manage stress in 2020?
19. What are the 3 quotes that motivate you to achieve more in your life.
20. Name 3 YouTube channels that inspire you to succeed.
21. If you could travel to any city of the world, where would you go and why?
22. Name the book that had the greatest impact on your life.
23. What are you most grateful for?
24. Where would you like to be 1n 3 months, 6 months, 9 months?
25. Name 5 goals you would like to accomplish by the end of 2021.
So, now that you’ve worked through the journal prompts, what’s the next step.
Now comes the hard part. Set aside an afternoon where you have time to focus on setting realistic goals.
If you need some help figuring out SMART goals, check out this YouTube video.
If you’re daunted by goal setting, take this simple advice and you will have a strategy to set and achieve your goals.
Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life – think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success.
This quote sums up the power of journaling:
Journal writing, when it becomes a ritual for transformation, is not only life-changing but life-expanding.
Let’s recap. Journal writing prompts allow you to:
- Reflect on your past goals and actions
- Analyze your strengths and weaknesses
- Set realistic goals for a better future
Do you keep a journal? What has been your experience? Share your story in the comments below.
If you enjoyed this post, please help to share it to your favorite social media platforms.
Here are other self-improvement posts for you to read. Please pin to your best personal development Pinterest board.
Like what you read? Subscribe and become an FGL Insider.