RAINBOWS AFTER STORMS
For centuries, philosophers have made it clear to man that life is a cycle of life and death, happiness, and sadness.
Being chosen by my peers for The Sunshine Blogger Award drove home this message to me again.
In 2017, I was forced to quit my job as an English teacher due to health reasons. At the time, I felt rudderless. Then, I discovered blogging and it has proven to be my rainbow after the storm wrought by my chronic illness.
I am so honored at being nominated for The Sunshine Blogger Award.
My blog is a month old so I am really pleased. The timing of this award was great too. As a new blogger, I have been so immersed in the blogging cycle of writing and promoting my blog posts that I was beginning to be stressed by it all.
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT ASHLEY
A big thank you to Ashley Girres of afiercemind.com for nominating me and thinking me worthy of this honor.
Ashley is amazing. From her Home and About pages to her articles, she is way above and beyond any blogging formula. Reading Ashley’s articles is like accompanying her on a soul journey.
Her letters to her daughter, Sienna, makes inspired reading. Perhaps, something all parents should consider ….. If not regularly, perhaps a letter to mark a birthday …..
Ashley’s other articles all have a unique 2 part structure – bravely, she first relates a personal heartbreaking event from the perspective of a young Ashley. Then the adult Ashley comments and encourages others who have had similar experiences to summon the courage to seek help in order to heal.
Don’t miss out on a novel encounter. Visit Ashley at a fiercemind.com.
WHAT IS THE SUNSHINE BLOGGER AWARD ABOUT?
The Sunshine Blogger award is given by bloggers to bloggers who inspire and motivate with their blogs. It is an award that showcases new talent and enables blogging friendships to develop especially among the nominees and nominators.
MY SUNSHINE BLOGGER AWARD QUESTIONS FROM ASHLEY:
- 1. What is your greatest inspiration in life?
- My inspiration comes from people who show a warrior spirit in all they do. Examples would be fellow spoonies who do not merely survive from one day to the next but thrive and flourish despite and in spite of their chronic conditions. People who challenge the odds even when they are stacked against them. It took a medical crisis for me to try to grow this streak. One step in that direction was starting my blog, FamilyGrowthLife.com.
- 2. What prompted you to begin blogging?
I have a chronic illness called Scleroderma which reached a crisis point in 2016. The precarious nature of my health dictated that I resign from my stressful and demanding job as a high school English teacher. I was in desperate need of a creative outlet to challenge me mentally. My blog FamilyGrowthLife was born as a result.
3. Have you ever considered transforming your blog into a book?
No, I’m still a baby blogger and am hard at work learning the ins and outs of blogging. So I have not even thought of that avenue at all.
- 4. Do you do anything else for a living outside of blogging?
No, I do not earn a living as a blogger at present. I hope to in the future when my blog is more successful.
- 5. Who is your favorite blogger?
Without doubt Henneke Dusitermaat of Enchanting Marketing. I read her articles for the sheer pleasure and joy they bring me. Reading Henneke energizes and inspires me.
I love the powerful simplicity of the language she uses to convey her ideas. She encourages you to break verbal stereotypes by using sensory diction.
My favorite blog post by her is 99 Strong Verbs to Make Your Content Pop, Fizz, and Sparkle.
- 6. What do you enjoy doing most when you’re not writing?
Reading – I do read for pleasure but I want more than entertainment from a book. A good book is one that lingers with you long after you’ve read it.
I love books that challenge me on multiple levels – plot line, characters, themes, emotions and most important of all for me is skilled language and imagery. That’s the English teacher in me.
My all-time favorite book is The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. Based on the Hindu epic The Mahabharata, it takes you on a spiritual and emotional rollercoaster. You emerge better for having taken the ride.
- 7. What do you feel has been the most pivotal moment in your life?
Being forced to give up my job and find an alternate ‘occupation’ has been the most pivotal point in my life. It made me break out of my cocoon and resulted in me starting my blog. This, in turn, enabled me to ‘meet’ bloggers from around the world most of whom are so compassionate and generous with their information.
As a teacher, I always worked hard, often working at home daily to help my students. But blogging has taken hard work to a whole new level.
My reward is the personal satisfaction of writing an article that impacts others. I’m pleased to say I’ve had that experience already even though I’m so new to this field.
- 8. What is your writing routine?
I write best from 7 pm to about 12 pm at night. Through trial and error, I’ve found that to be the best time. I’m free of all my other responsibilities to focus on my writing then.
I am trying to develop the process advised by more successful bloggers – have an editorial calendar, use batching and time blocking to increase my productivity. But it is so difficult to cultivate that discipline even though I know it is essential.
- 9. What has been your greatest life accomplishment?
Well, I count surviving for more than 20 years with a chronic illness as one of them. But I think my greatest life accomplishment is starting a blog. That my blog is live and I have readers who are sharing my blog posts on Twitter and Facebook and pinning me on Pinterest is truly awesome.
- 10. What encourages you when you’re feeling discouraged about
I have two maxims that I repeat daily.
Rome wasn’t built in a day
So when a post I’ve poured my heart and soul into is not getting the attention I want, I remind myself that success takes patience.
Done is better than perfect
A lifetime of correcting kids’ errors in their English essays makes me my
harshest critic. I remind myself then to avoid the hamster wheel of perfection.
- 11. Which blog entry thus far would you say is your greatest pride?
It has to be my first post How to Start an Amazing Blog even if your Tech Skills Suck. I wanted to help newbies who were clueless like I was about how to start a blog with no money and no guidance. I like to think it’s a resource a new blogger could use to start a blog successfully.
My nominations for the Sunshine Blogger Award are:
- 1. Halie of mediocremillennialmom.com
2. Michelle of jumbledbrain.com
3. Han of safehavenanonymousletters.co.uk
4. Zoe of thetaleofmummyhood.com
- 5. Diamond C of thepositivemindcafe.com
- 6. Michelle of grownupessentials.com
7. Cindy of simplestepsforlivinglife.com
- 8. Sue of the parentingmentor.com
- 9. Shawna of joyfulmamalife.com
- 10. Corrine of thepragmaticparent.com
11. Kate of themumconundrum
HERE ARE THE RULES IF YOU ACCEPT THE SUNSHINE BLOGGER AWARD:
You need to write a post in which you:
- 1. Thank the blogger who nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger Award and link back to their blog
- 2. Answer the questions set by the person who nominated you.
- 3. Nominate 11 other blogs and give them 11 questions to answer.
- 4. List the rules and exhibit the Sunshine Blogger Award Logo in your post.
Also, remember to notify the 11 bloggers you’ve nominated via social media.
MY QUESTIONS FOR MY SUNSHINE BLOGGER AWARD NOMINEES ARE:
- 1. Why did you start your blog?
- 2. How do you spend your time when you’re not blogging?
- 3. What is your biggest blogging challenge at the moment?
- 4. Name a blogger who inspires you and explain how he/she inspires you.
- 5. Name a blog post that had a great impact on your blogging process.
- 6. What has been your greatest blogging achievement so far?
- 7. What advice would you give to someone who wants to start a blog?
- 8. Describe your writing process.
- 9. What are your goals for your blog by March 2019?
10. Where do you source topics for your blog posts?
11. How has blogging impacted your life?
Blogging so far has been an incredible journey. It is still unbelievable that a newbie like me has been nominated for this award.
To my nominees, happy blogging. Please tag me on Twitter at @Pather009 so I can read your responses.
If you enjoyed reading this article, please feel free to share on Social Media
because news about awards such as The Sunshine Blogger Award needs to be spread.